Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Melting away ...

Today I had my first day off from the conference, and T and I finally went sight-seeing, it was so nice!

So ... after 22 hours of travelling and 0 hours sleep, we made our way to our hotel for another 0 hours of sleep. I did know that it ws 35 degrees in Berlin, but I didn't know there was no such thing as air conditioning...

Sunday morning I gave my talk, it went very well and I got many good comments. Plus, I was done so I was excited. Kj was convinced the best way to get over jet lag was to get wasted so we went out exploring and drinking. Met his local Berlin friend, who took us to a very neat outdoor bar in the middle of the a park. Then when that closed, to a 24 hour bar (they do exist!) where our German friend called someone a nazi for making fun of us canadians. Anger ensued but we managed to dodge a full on fist fight. Apparently germans don't like it when you call them that.

Monday not only was I not over my jet lag, but I was also moderately hung over, not to mention tired from coming home when the sun was coming up. Next couple days talks talks talks ... T made it out to Ku'damm (shopping area) and Unter der Linden, to see the Reichstag and Brandenburg Tor and all that fun stuff.

Finally today I took the day off (we only had a half day) and we went sightseeing together. We saw Potsdamer Platz, Checkpoint Charlie, Alexanderplatz, and spent about 2 hours in the Berliner Dome taking pictures of the church as the sun was setting. So much fun and T got some really nice ones... I'll try and figure out how to post some.

Tomorrow more talks and a conference dinner ... should be fun! It is so hot so hot and nothing is cold .. you ask for water and its warm. And fizzy. And it costs more than beer. Geez. I guess that is why they drink so much beer here!

1 comment:

psonica said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»