Friday, March 30, 2007

Sockaholic

Well, for some reason I keep knitting socks.I don't know why, they are not fun to knit. You have to use little tiny needles, and little tiny thread, and it takes you about as long to knit a sock as it does a big poofy sweater.And the socks I knit aren't even that nice. The heels are the hardest part, and I still haven't gotten a handle on getting them tight enough so that there are no holes.These ones with cables were kind of nice but doing cables with #1 needles is a bitch!
So I just finished this pair, I haven't even sewn in all the threads. I made them because I was trying to get rid of the leftover wool. But I chose the wrong colour for the heels and cuffs, because I ran out of it in the second sock! So instead of having two socks with two different coloured toes, I undid half of the first sock (ok which is REALLY hard when you have such tiny stitches!!) and changed the toe so there was enough wool for the second one! Ugh. It was a chore.So tell me why I now want to knit another pair! I have leftover pink wool from the first pair I knit. I have a friend who has a 2-year old daughter. And for some reason I have this overwhelming urge to knit little pink kid socks with a ruffle! I know I will hate doing it, never mind the fact that I'm still knitting my sweater, but I still want to! I keep telling myself .. I have 2 5-hour plane rides to Ottawa and back, I could probably use shorter needles than the ones for my sweater on the plane (otherwise you keep jabbing your neighbors with the needles, they don't like that very much).

I don't know ... they might just never get finished!! But I think I will probably still start them. No sense in letting cute pink wool go to waste, right??

3 comments:

Acquiel said...

LOOOL, So funny, I know why you wants to knit children socks... (Wink). Seriously, I'm amazed how good you are with this knitting stuff. I would have to bug you to teach me how to "cast out" because all I can do is a long, long scarf and I'm unable to "close" it.

shanti said...

Of course I can teach you to cast off!! Then I can show you how to make matching mittens too ... :)

Laura said...

i don't know - knitting socks isn't all bad - in addition to being not that nice in the end and difficult and time-consuming to knit, they're also very portable!! This is a very good thing and condusive to actually getting the project finished. Well not necessarily for me, apparently, since i have yet to finish one sock...