Friday, March 16, 2007

A Sweater Commitment

I have a new project ... After looking for sweater patterns for two months I finally settled on a pattern that was free and not TOO hard, and hopefully it will turn out the way I see it in my mind!!

I still cheaped out on the wool though, I just don't think I'm a good enough knitter to spend 100$ on wool for a sweater I might not like in the end ... People always talk about the first sweater they knitted, and then the first WEARABLE sweater they knitted. I'm still waiting for that one, so until then I'm buying cheap wool! I made the sales lady climb up on ladders all over the store to get 8 balls in the same dye lot, I don't think she liked me very much!

So I've started the left front. The pattern itself is easier than I thought, but the collar and buttons look like they are going to be very difficult. The whole pattern is in shorthand so I'm having a little trouble figuring out what everything means, but I just sort of make stuff up when I'm in trouble and so far its worked out ok ...

The only problem I'm having is the left side of the cables and the knit bars ... I keep getting loose stitches. I've tried holding the wool tight, I've tried twisting the first stitch, I've tried purling through the back of the stitch, I've tried everything I've read about on the web and I still can't get it to tighten up! Any ideas???? I understand blocking will help but can you wet block a sweater that is 75% acrylic? I can just see that stretching it out like crazy.

Well, I think this will probably take me quite a few months to finish, but I'm optimistic that it will be a good sweater. Here's hoping!

1 comment:

Acquiel said...

Geeesh, when you told me you were knitting, I didn't know you were that great!! Can wait to see that shirt.