Thursday, January 22, 2009

So far, so good, so cheap.

Well, it's the 22nd and I have so far stuck to my non-consumeristic month. Although it's been tough to pass up on some of the shopping opportunities, it has shown me what a huge dent in my bank account my personal shopping makes. Although I will go back to shopping in February, I think I will go with a renewed sense of the value of things. I may even (gasp) make a budget. I've never found myself needing a budget in the past  due to my frugality (sic. cheapness), but I think it would make a difference now, especially since this recession is making me look at my net worth in a new light. Speaking of this recession, I don't want to talk about it. I currently have a job. That is all.

In knitting news, I finished the baby sweater, although I am not too happy with it. I don't know if it was the pattern, or the fact that I upsized the needles to get gauge with a finer yarn, but it looks really sloppy. Oh well, it is still pretty cute. I finished one monkey sock, which I LOVE, and have started the second. It's not the funnest lace to knit as it required intense concentration, so these are staying a long term project, but it comes out lovely. I now have a thing for lace. I'm trying to find other lace patterns to knit, and I think I want to try designing a lace pattern. For something simple like a scarf, but it is so fascinating to me how it works up. Maybe it's the mathematician in me ...

I also finally started Coraline!!! So excited! But I quickly realized this is going to be another long, slow project. Stocking stitch on size 4s. I've been knitting for a week and I haven't even finished the hem. Loving the Ysolda pattern though, her detail work is amazing and all these beautiful touches keep showing up. I may not have enough yarn but I think it will work out ok, because if a new dye lot is significantly different in colour, I will simply use it for the entire smocking on the top and it should work out alright. I also learned to do a provisional cast on for this project (on size 2 needles!!) and i-cord edges. Very neat.

Finally, I've decided I want to try some colourwork. I don't know what yet, but it seems like a new technique I would like to conquer. I have a huge list of yarn and accessories I'd like to start purchasing in February. Even though I currently have three lengthy projects on the go I feel like I don't have enough going on. I think I need to start something else as well ... Need more WIPs!


No comments: