Thursday, May 07, 2009

a slave to sugar

Anyone who knows me knows that I love sweets. My sweet tooth is so big it has chipped off and the pieces have been adopted by other people. I love to bake, I love chocolate, and I have to have that spoon of sugar in my coffee. I never crave salty food, only sugar. It is my weakness and I have always contended that if I didn't eat sugar like it was sugar's last day on earth, I would be 10 pounds thinner and wouldn't have to work out 6 days a week.

So I have decided, totally randomly, to do a 1 week sugar fast. Usually, people do this for a lot longer - 1 to 3 months - but I just want to see a) if it is possible and b) if it makes any sort of difference in my body/mind. It's like the workout mantra "you can do anything for 30 seconds", I think I can do anything for a week. Beyond that, who knows, but why not give it a try.

So, starting tomorrow, I will not be eating any refined sugar for a week. I can, of course, still consume naturally occuring sugars such as in fruits and potentially even honey, but no white sugar, no fructose, glucose, sucrose, etc. No sugar substitutes like sucralose because that basically negates the whole point of this. So who knows, maybe I'll go crazy, maybe I won't notice a difference at all, maybe I'll substitute sugar with potato chips and beer. Guess we'll see!

No comments: