Thursday, October 29, 2009

bulky yarn, or bulky with yarn?

I need to go on a yarn diet.

I don't like that word (or two words rather) because I don't really have much of a stash, and I don't intend to get one. I almost always buy yarn with a project in mind, and start once I have purchased the yarn, so it gets used right away. But lately, I've had too many projects in mind. Once I've purchased the yarn, I just don't have time to start the project and it starts to build up. Plus, I've been gifted some yarn lately, the latest being a skein of laceweight silk, from my parents - Alchemy Silken Straw:It is very cool, 100% silk and ribbon like, and I can't wait to knit something up in it, but when will I find the time! So many projects spinning around my head! Still trying to finish my FLS, need to make a hat for T to match the mittens, I want to finish my big grey monster sweater (that's another goal to set), and my whisper, plus I've got the yarn all ready for a pair of 2-at-a-time toe up socks and oh so much more!! In my head, I have a mitten design, fair isle mittens, a cowl, more socks, another sweater, and another lace shawl, and a lace wrap .. I could go on ... And ALSO, I sold a "custom" pair of mittens at a charity auction at work - a friend ended up buying it, and he has requested a substitute for a pair of slippers for his girlfriend. This is actually a good thing, since I've been wanting to make slippers for myself for a while, so it will be good practice. But it will take time! That will take priority over other projects.

Speaking of the charity auction, I also sold a test copy of my cupcake mittlets, they only went for 10$ :( I realize it is the wrong market for this, a bunch of engineers don't appreciate hand crafts! Oh well, it is for charity, so I shouldn't complain.

So the plan is to finish these WIPs - even that evil grey sweater! I'll have to rip out the sleeves I think and start again but I am a much better knitter now than I was when I started it 2 (3?) years ago, so hopefully it will go quicker this time! So, no more new yarn! No more pretty sock yarn! No more lace! None! Until I finish all my WIPs! Well, maybe just a few. Or one. One is good, right ... ?

:)

No comments: