Wednesday, March 10, 2010

too many cardigans

So I've been trying to decide on a new cardigan to knit, since I've recently completed some big projects and only have TWO WIPS on the needles right now! I'm still trying to complete my whisper cardigan, but I have to say I hate knitting it!! Well, no, I hate knitting the sleeves. No, I hate knitting on DPNs. No. I hate knitting sleeves in lace weight yarn on DPNs. I am on month #9 of this endeavor (although the knitting time is extremely limited - maybe 5-10 hours total so far for all the times I've started over) and I am so tired of it. So, I'm going to bring a new cardigan into the fold!

Option #1: Double v cardigan by Melissa Wehrle in IK Spring 2010
I love her designs. This cardigan is simple and classic, and would be interesting to knit because it is an all-over lace pattern (no stocking stitch yay!). It also uses a DK weight yarn, which will be a nice change from all the lace weight yarn I've been using lately. I have the pattern. Only problem, I do not have any yarn for this, and I'm trying to knit from stash as much as possible. It calls for a cotton/linen/rayon blend which my LYS has nothing of the sort.

Option #2: Tissue cardigan by Deborah Newton in IK Spring 2010 This cardigan immediately caught my eye. I has a simple body with an interesting lace yoke. It calls for a lace weight yarn held double, so the actual knitting is at about a sport/worsted weight. When looking at this pattern, I realized I have the perfect yarn for it in my stash - Tanis Fibre Arts Pink Label lace in Chesnut. I have 2000 yards of it, which is just about enough to make this cardigan. Its a tonal hand dyed yarn, so held double I think it would give a really interesting colour texture. I'd have to swatch first to make sure, but I think it would be perfect. Two problems with this one: first, its a lot of stocking stitch, which I'm king of tired of after knitting citron, whisper and socks only for the last few months. I haven't done any lace since before Christmas and I'm missing it. Second, it requires me to wind 2000 yards of lace yarn, which although I do have a swift, would still have to be wound BY HAND and I don't think I have the patience for that right now.

Option #3: Geodesic cardigan by Connie Chang Chinchio in Knitscene Winter/Spring 2010
This cardigan is modern with interesting details, and I could see it being an everyday cardigan. I have some kettle dyed black lace weight merino yarn that I bought with the intention of making a shawl with. However, its not a black black, it's more of a faded black. I feel like with lace shawls and wraps, you really need to have saturated, strong colours. Maybe it's just me, but I like the colour to POP with the lace. As soon as I got the yarn (I ordered it online) I knew it wasn't right for a shawl. So it's been sitting ever since. Once I saw this cardigan, my mind immediately went to the black yarn. This cardigan would totally suit the kettle dyed, weathered look. This cardigan has two problems as well: 1) I do not have the pattern and cannot find the mag anywhere in town or online (sold out or back ordered) and 2) MORE STOCKING STITCH AND IN LACE WEIGHT YARN I don't know if I can take more of this right now while I still have whisper on the needles.

Well, fortunately the solution just appeared out of thin air - my finger wandered to Webs and just purchased 6 skeins of Elsebeth Lavold Hempathy in navy blue ... that should do the trick for the double v cardigan! I suppose I'll still have to wait a few weeks for this to arrive, but in the mean time I can try to buckle down and finish this stupid whisper (which I'm sure I'll love when I'm done because the yarn is so delicious, but I just can't stand right now). Oh and also to look for a ball winder. And the knitscene mag. So that I can eventually knit all three options. Yum!

No comments: