Saturday, June 12, 2010

the ice cream man

I'm at about kilometre 6 of my 8 kilometre run. It's a nice, sunny day, but I'm not having a good run. Whether I didn't eat enough today, or the music on my ipod isn't inspiring enough, or what, my heart's just not in it today. I'm struggling but I continue to keep going. As much as I want to stop, sit down, there's a nagging voice in the back of my head saying "race .. race .. race ..." I'm in training and I have to keep running.

As I come up to the intersection, there is an ice cream truck parked on the road facing me. These trucks are all over the place in the summer. It's idling, waiting for some kids to come by perhaps. I turn right. The ice cream truck starts up, turns to follow me. Must be a coincidence. There are tons of kids in this community, and I am turning to go off the main road deeper into the suburbs.

But the ice cream truck doesn't pass me. No. He turns on his ice cream music.

I'm running at just under 10km/hr. Ice cream trucks usually drive between 20-30km/hr. I know, there are tons of kids around here and the trucks come around often! A transit bus turns onto the road behind me. Okay, maybe the ice cream truck was waiting for the people to come off the bus. He finally passes me and stops in front of the bus stop. The bus comes, lets off the bus people, and continues on its way. The ice cream truck waits until I pass the bus people, and starts up again, following closely behind me. Music still on.

Have you ever been 3 feet away from ice cream music? It is so loud my ipod is drowned out. My head starts to hurt. And all I can think of is getting some of that cold, sweet, delicious ice cream! He is clearly taunting me. Does he think this is funny? I keep running.

He follows me down the entire block - no one else is around. Finally, I turn right to go into the park. He has to turn left. I'm now more motivated than ever to get home, so I pick up my speed. Last 2 kilometres. Then maybe, just maybe, I'll have some ice cream.

No comments: