Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cupcakes and Buttercream

I just finished a post on running, and now I'm going to write a post on delicious baking!

I volunteered to make dessert for a get together on the weekend. As usual, I defaulted to cupcakes. I really wanted to try a recipe from my Martha Stewart Cupcakes book, but it was not chocolate. And everyone loves chocolate. So I thought I'd make two kinds of cupcakes. Now, I'm not that self destructive, so I made a half batch of each for a total of 18 cupcakes, which is entirely reasonable. :)

My friend recently brought me back a package of vanilla beans from Bali, and I've been wanting to try them out.
So, the first batch was Orange Vanilla Bean cupcakes from Martha Stewart Cupcakes. I thought this would be a great opportunity to try out the vanilla beans! Here is a picture of the original:
You see that she has even caramelized orange slices for the topping. I did not, as I am no Martha! I thought these ones were very nice. Strong orange flavor with a hint of vanilla. They turned out very well.

The second batch was Red Velvet cupcakes from Cupcakes Galore. They were originally 4th of July cupcakes with red, white and blue decorations. Once again I did not do this. They were nice and moist (and RED!) but not chocolaty enough. This could be because I just attended a wedding with a red velvet wedding cake that was literally LITERALLY the BEST CAKE I'VE EVER EATEN. Sorry, just had to yell. It was that good. So, clearly, these ones did not live up to it. I think they are nice and red because there was not much cocoa, but consequently, there was not much chocolate flavor.

I used Swiss Meringue Buttercream for the icing on both. The Swiss Meringue Buttercream was creamy and perfect and everyone loved it. I don't care for it, since I'm not a butter person, so I probably won't make it again. But it did work well for both cupcakes.

Here is a picture of how they did turn out!Yum! Next post, travelling and some knitting updates! Big updates!

No comments: