Saturday, January 29, 2011

the warmest mittens on earth

The warmest mittens on earth are ... thrummed mittens. Being that I live in Canada, where "cold" means "really freaking freeze your fingers off cold", I decided that I wanted to knit some really warm mittens. After a little research, I found out that those mittens would be thrummed mittens.

I found a kit at colorsong yarn, which contains 125g of Fleece Artist Blue Face Leicester Wool, and 50g of Fleece Artist roving. What is roving? Roving is wool that has been combed and clumped, but not yet spun. It looks like this:It is incredibly soft and fluffy! I wish I had taken a picture of the kit, but sadly I did not.

Anyways, it is an interesting way to knit. You take little pieces of the roving, twist them up into little loops, and wrap the loops around your needle at intervals so as to knit the pieces in. The finished product looks like this:
And the inside of the mitten looks like this:So awesome!!! And so warm. It's like putting your hand into a basket full of kittens. I used the pattern from the kit, but patterns for thrummed mittens can be found anywhere, using a quick search on the web or on ravelry.

As you can see from the photos, I'm done one mitten. The second should be finished this weekend. Hopefully, I can wrap this project up as I am currently looking at 20cm of fresh snow on my deck and I'm getting cold just thinking about going outside!!



No comments: